Friday, July 19, 2013

The Bling Ring

Lately I've found out that I should always start with my opinion of the film because apparently my "analysis" has a tendency to be negative, whatever it means.

If I don't agree with the message of the film (or think that it doesn't have one), it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. Duh.

I liked this one. I like Sofia Coppola's work: it's stylish, very musical and well done. I like Kirsten Dunst (even though she appears here very briefly) and I like pretty clothes (there is plenty of that in the movie).

The film is short (which is terrific!), the plot moves fast and it's visually appealing (all those nice things, what, I'm a girl!).

Stealing things, entering without permission and just going too far is bad. We know it.

Materialism is innate to American culture (it really is, you can't deny it)

But there's probably a reason why Coppola decided to make this movie. It might seem that it doesn't have something profound to say but what if it does?
It's not as simple as a story of teenagers who have too much time on their hands. It seems like more of a satire of the Hollywood socialites whose lifestyle really inspires these teens because nothing else apparently does. They are difficult kids but their parents don't seem to care. Their parents aren't role models, they are either overbearing or almost invisible. These kids are lost in the big bad world and they are only able to follow the examples of Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan and the like.

It's not a new issue but we still haven't found the solution to this.


No comments:

Post a Comment